SMILE Certificate in Brewing Entrepreneurship
The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to establish a career in the brewing industry. The Smile Certificate is a working qualification that will cater for all areas of setting up an Independent Brewing business and surviving.
Learning Outcomes: Learners will be able to:
- Understand and apply brewing practices and to competently produce a creditable brew.
- Know and be able to apply common business knowledge required to develop a brewing business.
- Be up to date with the regulatory requirements for commercial brewing.
Video Source: Leashless Brewing. Published via YouTube https://youtu.be/Bw0FLyPNLGw
In the ‘SMILE QUALIFICATION 2018’ document, (download it below), first proposal for the SMILE Qualification, ‘SMILE Certificate in Brewing Entrepreneurship’ is presented. This proposal was developed after a period of primary research, in consultation with the industry, and with brewers of all levels, skills and experience in the Partner countries and beyond. In conclusion of our research, this is the training that the industry wants.
The Course is an entry level qualification, designed to prepare the learner in 3 fundamental components of brewing operations,
- Brewing – This component may be delivered through e-learning, classroom or distance learning, or by a blended program. The program must include a minimum of one-week on-site in a brewery, hands-on experience to familiarise the student with the physical reality of brewery equipment and processes.
- Business – In this component learners will gain an understanding of the business environment that a brewery operates, including strategic planning, financing, marketing and selling.
- Due Diligence – The commercial brewer has to operate within a controlled environment to ensure quality and regulative compliance. This component prepares the learner to understand these aspects when taking up employment in a commercial brewery.
Download the new Syllabus for the SMILE Certificate in Brewing Entrepreneurship here… SMILE Certificate in Independent Brewing Entrepreneurship – August 2018.docx
As the Craft Revolution continues too grow, many wonder if starting a brewery is a good idea. Is the market saturated? Is there room for new entrants. Does the rising tide raise all boats?
Video Source: CBC News. Published via YouTube https://youtu.be/gGQmLAoqKyg
The SMILE REPORT below provides an overview of the Brewing Industry in Europe, with a particular focus on the SMILE Project partner countries and the training pathways that exist. This study also shows that the training and development sector for brewers has been considerably invigorated by the advent of the craft and micro brewing as traditional segmentation into vocational vs. academic education is not necessarily valid in some cases.
Download the ‘SMILE REPORT 2018’ document now, here… SMILE REPORT 2018
Get in Touch… we would love to know what you think?